Year in Review
As 2018 comes to an end, let’s take time to reflect on the positive news we’ve seen across the American steel industry this year. It all started March 1, when the federal administration announced the 25% tariff on steel imports that took effect in June.
Good News for Steel
Since the announcement about steel tariffs, we’ve seen these events across the country:
- U.S. Steel reopened its facility in Granite City, Illinois.
- Braidy Industries started construction on the first greenfield aluminum rolling mill in the United States in more than 40 years.
- Liberty Steel restarted operations at a mill in Georgetown, South Carolina.
- By July 16, the United States collected more than $1.4 billion from steel and aluminum tariffs to reinvest in our economy (with the figure expected to reach $7.5 billion by the end of the year).
- Amfabsteel, Inc. began expanding its steel plant in New Mexico.
- U.S. Steel agreed to give employees their largest pay increase in at least six years.
- Tenaris restarted its steel pipe plant in Conroe, Texas.
- The United States has been able to stay safe by supplying our own metals, steel and aluminum for our military and infrastructure.
Looking Ahead to Next Year
To keep the good news going strong in 2019 and beyond, we’ll need to continue supporting domestic manufacturing — especially our steel industry and steel workers. Here are five ways you can show your support:
- Get involved! Contact your elected officials to voice your support for domestic manufacturing and fair trade. Specifically, tell your congressional representatives to move forward with these key bills:
- Choose American metal! Stock, spec, and buy American-made products, such as the steel pipe and tube from American manufacturers.
- Share your story. Tell us about your experience working in the steel industry or how steel has improved your community. Write a couple sentences, or shoot us a photo or short video. Share now >
- Order the gear. Show your American Metal pride by sporting our branded T-shirts, hats, stickers — or displaying an American Metal banner at work. Start shopping >
- Spread the word! Tell your family, friends, neighbors and colleagues about the American Metal movement. We need your support and we want to hear from you! Share this link >